The goal of our Discovery Center is to provide services designed to help remediate the learning difficulties identified in our enrolled students. Theses services are provided within the school as a convenience to parents for an additional fee. Below is a list of programs that are currently offered within Discovery.
Search Teach Program:
The Search-Teach Program addresses perceptual skills which are foundational to reading and writing. It is a prescriptive program, targeting specific perceptual areas needing strengthened.
Barton Reading and Spelling Program:
The Barton Reading and Spelling Program is a research-based, Orton-Gillingham influenced system, that is multisensory, explicit, structured and sequential tutoring delivered one-on-one. It addresses the needs of students with dyslexia and reading and spelling difficulties.
- Phonological Awareness Skills Program Test (phonological awareness skills)
- Quick Phonics Screener (phonics skills mastered)
- Informal Reading Inventories (reading level, fluency, comprehension)
- Norris Educational Achievement Test (reading, writing, spelling, math,)
- Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing (phonemic and phonological skills)
- Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement III (comprehensive math, reading, written language, and elements of oral language)
When a student needs special education services, psychological support or testing, math remediation, executive function support, general help with class work (outside of what our teachers provide), or more intensive remediation than our programs provide, we refer them to services or professionals within the community.